Monday, June 9, 2008

Koibumi (Love Letter)

Dearest love. Mon Cherie. Je T'aime, moi jolie'nfant. Koi ni ochiru. Mi amor. I just wanted to thank you for loving me the way you do. Holding me in your arms. Protecting me, nurturing my heart. You are a warm robe for my soul. You embody all that is and all that can be. I see possibility in your eyes. It gives me hope, when I question our longevity. Thank you for only seeing me, even when we are in a room full of beauties. Thank you for giving me confidence that I can proudly wear. Thank you for the compliments, when I am sick, angry or just being shitty. Thank you for showing me what trust is. Thank you for surprising me with breakfast in bed and thanks for hitting snooze on the alarm clock...knowing when I need it. Thanks for encouraging me to get up out of bed; run girl...let's get it. Thanks for tucking me in at night and cuddling. Thanks for holding my hand as we walk down the street or sit in the car. Thanks for telling me my miniskirt looked great with those heels. Thanks for getting it on with me in the dressing room and the public bathroom and the park. Thanks for plottin and planning. Sneaking your way to somewhere you knew I would be...and even though I hadn't yet arrived, I walked in to find you waiting on me. Thank you for lunch and the morning massages after I jog. Thanks for making my morning cup of tea. Thanks for church, thanks for being a mentor and volunteering. Thanks for following up with that email for me, you know I be all over the place. And thanks for making that phone call I was dreading. I can handle it, but thanks for the assistance. Thanks for letting me know I am still superwoman, even if you are helping me. You do it because I am so super and because you want to give me a break. Thanks for notes, they are better than greeting cards. I love how you leave them everywhere. I like that you put the date and time in the corner, it takes me back: maybe I was being mean or neglecting his needs that day and yet he still thought to do this for me. It reminds me of the great sex we had that morning or the fabulous dinner you prepared the night before. And it's so cute, that you are so clever, sometimes the date and time let me see how long it took me to find it. Even if I am away on business, they are folded up in the clothes I packed (still haven't figured out how you get the time to do that) or somewhere buried in the many pockets of the suitcase. You have even been so kind, to leave messages at the front desk or awake me calling, playing my favorite song. You've sung to me on my voice mail and even when we make love. I love our lil games. Our secret language and top secret codes. We even got our own handshake. I love you, I thank you. I respect you. I applaud you for dealing with me. Thanks for helping me with that math problem I couldn't figure out. Thanks for being patient, even when I begin to shout. Thanks for always being understanding and never condescending about my tears, my reasoning, my logic...thanks for forcing a smile to my lips when all I want to is pout. Thanks for encouraging my emotions be it anger or disappointment. Thanks for reminding me that God just sees fit for me to go thru it. Thanks for praying with me and reminding me to say my grace. Thanks for dealing with all my mood swings and me being flat out crazy. Thanks for thinking the quirky is sexy and ain't nothing wrong with my being clumsy. Thank you for loving me like a goddess...your Egyptian Pharisee. Thank you for treating me like only a man of God can. Thank you for holding me the most high. Thank you for always telling me the truth. Thank you for keeping a full supply of candles in the house and picking up my favorite shower gel, when you've notice I've gotten low. Thanks for picking up that adorable dress you noticed walking past my favorite store(s). Thanks for introducing me to new perfumes...so maybe now I'll stop spraying your cologne. When you're not around sometimes I want to smell like you and your scent keeps you close. I want to wear you on me always, so over my skin you linger. Thanks for picking up me up some new panties...all styles, cut and colors you know I like variety. Especially when you know I spend more on undergarments and shoes, than actual clothes. I know carrying those lil pink and yellow bags aren't very masculine. Thanks for surprising me with trinkets, tucked in little blue boxes. Thanks for helping pick out my makeup...I like you liking what you're seeing. Thanks for picking up my tampons without the slightest flinch. Thanks for being my man. Thanks for being my best friend. Thanks for listening to me and remembering everyone's name. You know all my girls, their men and their situations...you know all my coworkers and all their business; you even know the names and plots to the characters in my books. You play your video games, work out and sometimes I get to spot you. We always end up sexing, so I don't know why you insist that I do;) You rarely go out with the fellas, most of the time you just study. But even when you do, I know you are faithful to me. So I get to run with the ladies and have no fear or shame. I am glad you are man. Thanks for being my king. I get to where my crazy clothes, a style that can't be tamed. I get write my poetry, read my books, study and I get to have you who gets it. You can really understand me. Thanks for opening your eyes, to what no one but you can see. You tutor me in math, I rewrite your papers for English. It's adorable how you try, definitely an A for effort; but you stick the figures, when it comes to the words, let me be the expert. We laugh, we fuss. We fuck, we play. We don't speak then five minutes later, there's echoing laughter again. We eat and pray. We keep it unbreakable in these dying days. The end is near, and should we not make it to tomorrow; they'll find me curled on your chest, wrapped in your arms. Or my head on your shoulder from the passenger seat. I am at your side. Everyday evermore your bitch! Forever your Queen! Promise you even more and everything in between. Thanks for the PDA. You know I'm wild. I get you so lost in our world we don't even notice. How we ended up in the backseat, somewhere pulled over, asking each other where our clothes at? It's so funny the passion and power we possess. Phenomenal is an understatement; we are truly blessed! So as I write these words, upon these pages and bestow a many thank yous to you. I am also thanking and praising God for joining together us two.

7 comments:

ndcush said...

Who ever he is, he wanted to say Your Welcome and Thanks for noticing because most people take the imortant things for granted.

JStar said...

Beautiful written...Ok lady you need to fill me in on who this is *wink*

The You Axis said...

I have never met him, but I know he is out there.

ndcush said...

"HISTORY LESSON"
Koibumi Yokocho (Koibumi Alley) Known for being the setting of a novel, based on a true story, by Niwa Fumio (a famous novelist).

Fumio Niwa (丹羽 文雄, Niwa Fumio?, born on November 22, 1904 in Mie Prefecture, Japan, died April 20, 2005 in Musashino, Tokyo) was a Japanese novelist with a long list of works, the most famous in the West being his novel The Buddha Tree (Japanese Bodaiju, 1956).

The eldest son of a priest in the Pure Land sect of Buddhism, Niwa grew up at Sogenji, a temple in Yokkaichi near Nagoya. After his graduation from Waseda University, he reluctantly entered the hereditary priesthood at Sogenji but quit two years later, at the age of 29, in order to become a writer, walking out of the temple grounds on 10 April 1932 and heading back to Tokyo. He was supported by his girlfriend until his marriage in 1935. During this time he published Sweetfish (Japanese Ayu), serialised in Bungei Shinju, and the novel Superfluous Flesh (Japanese Zeiniku).

His work was controversial and during World War II a couple of his novels were banned for immorality; he worked as a war correspondent in China and New Guinea; he accompanied Rear Admiral Gunichi Mikawa's Eighth Fleet and was on board the flagship Chōkai during the Battle of Savo Island on 9 August 1942. He was wounded at Tulagi. These experiences inspired Naval Engagement (Japanese Kaisen) and Lost Company (Kaeranu Chutai), both censored.

After the war he became the extremely prolific author of more than 80 novels, 100 volumes of short stories, and 10 volumes of essays. His most celebrated short story was The Hateful Age (Japanese Iyagarase no Nenrei, 1947), about a family terrorised by a senile grandmother, which became so famous that the phrase "the hateful age" entered the language for a time.

The novel The Buddha Tree uses his unhappy childhood at Sogenji as a backdrop. When he was eight years old his mother eloped with an actor from the Kansai Kabuki company, an event that greatly traumatised him; in this novel the story is elaborated fictionally.

Later works include, from 1969, a five-volume biography of Shinran (1173-1262), the founder of the Pure Land sect, and in 1983 an eight-volume work on Rennyo, a 15th Century monk who died on a pilgrimage to India.

In 1965 he was elected a member of the Art Academy of Japan, and the following year he was elected as the chief director of the Japanese Writers' Association, a position he held for many years. He encouraged fellow members to play golf, organised health insurance, and bought land for a writers' graveyard. He was awarded the Order of Culture in 1977.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1986. He was married twice and had one son and one daughter, Keiko Honda, who described his decline in Days of Care (Japanese Kaigo no hibi, 1997). He died of pneumonia in 2005.

Fumio Niwa should not be confused with the Yokohama balloonist of the same name who died in January 1991 in an attempt to fly solo across the Pacific.



"Koibumi"/Good Night
The days that I spent together with you
Thinking of something under the blue sky,
I close my eyes,
Recalling the dear days as I snap my fingers.

I fell in love with your numerous habits,
And in the clam rustle of the wind
I learned love.

Before I stare,
I want you to be in front of me.
No matter how old we get,
I want to be able to laugh together,
The same way as the first time we did,
At the instant beauty of life.

Because love is something we can’t see,
I am often lonely and afraid,
Impatiently pitying myself,
But that is the reason those were the
Dear days . . .

You showed me various sides of yourself,
Shimmering in front of me
As I swear my love.

So even if you tell a little white lie,
To me, it is the same as your truths.
Only if I could continue remembering you
Just a little bit at a time,
Even if you change,
During this time we can’t meet.

Although I may not be able to remember
The important things in my life,
Because I can only be what I am,
I want to continue to believe them,
Even for a short while,
And in that way
Go on with life.

Before I stare,
I want you to be in front of me.
No matter how old we get,
So we can laugh together,
The same way as the first time we did,
At the instant beauty of life.

ndcush said...

The Japanese culture, history and customs are so HOT. Japanese people ROCK OUT.

The You Axis said...

Yes, yes and yes. It started with a look into a different lense of philosophy and acient medicinal/healing practices, then it grew into something bigger. It took a spin off for business purposes but simply put, yes the Japanese culture rocks/ Dig the history lesson. A welcomed surprise. I had no idea that the word for "love letter" could and would spawn all this. Brilliant!!! I must say though, I was taken a breath by his poem. I would love to read some of his work. A fellow writer...I aspire to write within the same of realm of his talent one day. Even without the recognition and fame. Just to be able to capture the hearts of the masses, even unexpectedly. For this took me places I did not want to go...so beautifully written, I was moved to tears. Tears that I had had under control for months. He unleashed the flood gates. That is talent. Yes, I knew upon starting it, it would be heartwarming...and Im a cryer; so I expected a tear or two...but nothing prepared me for this. His words, spilling off the page. I must get that book. Thanks Cush.

The You Axis said...

OK readers. I have tried to get all the typos out. Trriiiieeeeeed. So if you have a sec. Skim it over and it may read slightly betta. Or not, maybe I'm just picky because it's mine.